We hear a great buzz about Hernia, but not many people know what is it exactly?
In simple terms, it is a localized bulge in the groin or abdomen region. The problem is quite common, and in the majority of the cases, it is pain-free and harmless.
However, sometimes it creates a lot of discomfort in the day-to-day affairs and a comprehensive hernia treatment becomes inevitable. Let’s understand about the ailment in detail.
- The majority of patients do not have any troublesome symptoms. Apart from some abdominal complaints they do not feel anything abnormal.
- Looking at the size and position of the bulge, doctors can diagnose it without any trouble.
- Treatment is basically a choice between ‘wait and watch’ and surgical intervention.
- Surgery can be done using the conventional method or keyhole operation method.
- The Femoral Hernia occurs throughout the life whereas Inguinal Hernia is common amongst kids and elderly people.
Cause and types of Hernia
When there is a hole or weakness in the muscular wall that keeps the abdominal organs secure, the wall allows abdominal tissues or organs to push through. It results in a bulge in different parts of the abdomen. Based on its location, it can be classified into several categories:
- Hernia produced by umbilical hernia in the belly button region.
- Hernia in the abdomen after abdominal surgery. It is called Incisional Hernia.
- Hiatus hernia which occurs in the upper part of the stomach. When bulge occurs in the chest cavity through the opening in the diaphragm, this type of hernia occurs. It is not commonly found, though.
- The Femoral hernia or Groin causes a bulge in the groin region. It is more common in women than men. Inguinal hernia, on the other hand, is more common in men. In this case, bulge reaches to the scrotum.
There are no obvious reasons for a hernia to occur. It can be present by birth, or may get developed after birth because of a natural weakness in the abdominal wall. A few medical conditions or hyperactivity may cause excessive pressure on the abdominal wall resulting in Hernia.
A persistent cough and straining on the toilet because of chronic constipation may also lead into a Hernia. Enlarged prostates, cystic fibrosis and being obese are also some important reasons of the hernia. Lifting heavy weights also induces hernia. Doctors look into the probable reason by carrying out different diagnostic routines.
Consult hernia treatment hospitals in Bangalore if you are suffering from hernia disease like Inguinal Hernia, Hiatal Hernia, Umbilical Hernia or Incisional Hernia.